Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Talking to Kids About Cancer

Breast cancer is a sad and horrible thing, which is why I have been very careful with the words I use with my children. I do not get in to specifics, and I focus on the positive. Simple phrases like “people that are sick,” “ a sad illness,” are more than enough for some age groups and have worked for my girls, who are all under five. 

photo by allspice1
As they grow older they will undoubtedly have more questions and I will be ready, but for now I feel it is important to try and find a harmonious balance between keeping informed and involved while protecting their innocence. Others parents may choose a different route, and I encourage you to follow your instinct since you know them best, especially if your child has already experienced the loss of a loved one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment